3 days in the saddle, 229 miles, all for JDRF

What? London to Paris cycling challenge How far? 229 miles (368km) How long is that going to take? 3 days. Starting from where? Twickenham (southwest London). Ending up where? Trocadero Gardens, opposite the Eiffel Tower Why??? Raising money for JDRF UK to support type 1 diabetes research!!

Sunday 14 August 2011

The Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation

I’ve had type 1 diabetes for over 18 years so the work of the JDRF means a lot to me. My insulin pump and continuous glucose monitor can’t manage my diabetes for me, but they make it a lot easier to live with. The JDRF’s Artificial Pancreas Project is bringing together the best academic and industry research teams to develop the “holy grail” of a true artificial pancreas.

A few years ago I read a blog by a pancreas transplant recipient about the first meal she ate without thinking of the carbohydrates, her blood glucose level or how much insulin to take. I certainly get by with my carbohydrate counting, correction factors and carb:insulin ratios but I got really emotional when I read that blog. Someday I’ll write a blog like that, thanks to your support for the Artificial Pancreas Project.

No comments:

Post a Comment